In a home remodel, or just decorating in general, it seems the master bedroom is the most neglected area. Most people focus their money and energy on areas that get the most return, and that most people see. Since the master is tucked away, it tends to be the last on the list.
I don't think you need to dump alot of money in a bedroom, to give it a change. Just a little pick me up does the trick. A fresh coat of paint, new bedspread, some updated curtains, or artwork, can change the feel of the whole room.
Our master bedroom was beyond builder basic. The walls and ceilings were a boring tan, as well as the carpets.
We aren't ready to go as far as changing the flooring just yet, we would have to do the whole upstairs.
So for now, we painted walls, and ceilings. On the walls I used the color from the rest of the house, Natural Choice by Sherwin Williams, I love how light and fresh it is without being to white. For the ceiling we went with ceiling white, I like a stark white on the ceiling, always! It lifts a ceiling up, and always make it look bigger.
Years ago, we purchased a bedroom set, from a furniture store. Sets were still in, and my husband loved it. It was more my rustic style than his, with the sanded black finish, so I kept my mouth shut and went with it. Since then, I've grown to dislike that it all matches. I'm not really a matchy-matchy kind of gal. There is a bed, dresser, tall dresser, and two nightstands all in the same finish. So I had to break it up.
I painted the night stands in a distressed finish, lots of layers, and striping, and sanding.
The lamps got an update, with a fresh coat of gold spray paint. My husband thought I was going a bit 70's with these, but once it was all put together, he got it.
For the bedding, I stuck with my old time fav's, reds, and blues. I pieced together several bedding components. The euro shams, and duvet are a blue and cream ticking from Pottery Barn. The navy quilt is by Ralph Lauren, Villa Martine, the reverse has a simple floral design. I used some cream quilted pillow cases from West Elm. The denim sheets, from Target, are part of the original Nate Berkus stuff. I used a old bolster pillow I had, and added a floral fabric form Calico Corners,Omar Azure, with a burlap trim.
Above the bed I wanted to use an architectural piece, not art work. The headboard is so tall, it wouldn't look quite right. I found this great old piece of wood at a local salvage shop. I'm not sure what it was used for, but it has tons of potential. It's so chipped and aged, I love it.
For window treatments, I used some simple cotton curtains I already had, from Ikea, "Lenda", at $19 a pair. I cut each panel in half, stitched the edges, and used it for one window.
I knew I didn't want a traditional curtain rod, so it took me awhile to hang these.
On a shopping trip to an antique store outside of town, I found some metal chicken feeder cages. I bought 3 for like $10. I had no idea what I was going to use them for. They even sat in my daughters room for months, since I had planned on using them as a book shelf in there some how. I finally decided to split them up, and used them to hang the tab top curtains on. For the end caps, I used some salvaged corner blocks that I picked up at Round Top this past spring. They finish it off nicely.
We added a little sitting area off to one side, to fill up the space of the room. I am still in search for the perfect side table, which I may have recently found at Target, but I'm still deciding.
The chairs were my grandmothers, and with a fresh coat of paint, they have a new life. I recovered the cushions, with some french linen, also purchased in Round Top. Along with some red striped linen pillows.
The art work, was something I threw together with a left over canvas I had. It's a 4'x5', and it was taking up to much space in the garage. I gave it an aged plaster finish, and added some stenciled designs, in a navy blue.
The room feels soft, and lived in.
The new and old, have a good balance, and its finally a happy place to wake up to.