Monday, September 23, 2013

Something Fishy

Since before I can remember, my family has vacationed in a small town, in New Mexico. Red River became like a second home to us. When I was about 6, my large family had outgrown staying at my grandmothers cabin. So they all got together to build a new one. Luckily my parents, and aunts and uncles, are all very handy, and secretly log-home-builders. 
They built an amazing cabin!


Growing up in Colorado made it a short 4 1/2 hour trip to our cabin, so we went alot. Sometimes for a holiday, a whole week, or just a weekend. It's not unusual to have more than one family at a time visiting either. My grandmother has 5 kids, 12 grand-kids, and now, 5 great grandchildren. 
The cabin has always been put together by family contribution. Everyone pitches in to make it run, and make it look good. 
Once I got to an age of being able to visit with my family, I wanted to make my contribution. 


On a summer visit, I wanted to make my mark. I decided to paint a mural in the "kids" room. There are several twin beds set up in here, and 2 boring white walls. The other two walls are external walls, logs. 
Since our family is big on fishing, I decided to paint fish as if you were underwater. 


A Rainbow Trout 


 The mural was meant to be simple, let the fish be the focal point, so I made them larger than life. 
Can you imagine the size of the fisherman on the other side of this line? 


A couple of Brown Trout


Brook Trout


Mr. Beaver


What a catch!


Our cabin has really been a special place to escape from the realities of our day-to-day life. There is no cable, or internet, and count yourself lucky if you get cell phone reception. 
The town is very quaint, one long street, with small shops, one grocery store, a place to roller skate or play putputt golf. But I'm not sure you will be able to find a live shoot-out by some cowboys, see a true Indian pow-wow, learn to square dance, or buy fried cheese on a stick, anywhere else. 
This place is awesome :) 
We knew all the lines to the act, but went at least once a visit anyways. 
I'm sure there are towns like this all over, with cabins and houses, that have a history with you or your family. But if you don't have one, find one. Even if it is just renting a little place somewhere far away, by a lake, or at the beach. Find a place to get away, breath in the fresh air, and relax. 


Your kids will thank you one day, for all the memories. Even if they complain, the whole way up the 4 mile hike to the beautiful lake. 


It will all be worth it, and you will never forget it.







1 comment :

  1. Amen, Sistah!
    Love our cabin. Home to many wonderful memories and ready for many more days of fun. You did a great job of capturing the magic of RR.

    ReplyDelete